Cynthia J. Drake
writing • editing • awesome, fresh creative services
As a child, I used to beg for stories from my mom and dad. At bedtime, I’d plead with my dad for just one more “story from your head” (otherwise known as a make believe story). I would practice reading books like Clifford and Mercer Mayer with my mom and a clicker that sounded like a cricket when it was time to turn the page.
Then came my first foray into publishing in sixth grade with my critically acclaimed “Life as a Cheerio,” as well as a stint as the class newspaper advice columnist. Since then, I have never considered doing anything other than writing for a living.
In my career, I have chased fire trucks, interviewed Richard Simmons (he called me Lady Drake), covered a murder-suicide at a pet food factory, walked around in wooden clogs, hung out with college freshmen, boy bands, a beauty queen runner-up, and a medical student volunteering in a Chicago free clinic. I have literally seen what goes into the sausage. I have told stories of corporations, celebrities, average Joes, and Squeakers the Death-Defying Guinea Pig.
My stories have made people laugh, cry, get outraged, and pull out their wallets to donate money to worthy causes.
• 6 Stops Along Wisconsin’s Great River Road, ShermansTravel, August 2015
• 5 Ways to Experience San Antonio’s Heritage, ShermansTravel, July 2015
• Topped with Adventure, [pdf] Midland Daily News, Sept. 2014
• Brick by Brick, Visit Detroit Magazine (Fall 2014)
• Yoga in the Snow, Spirituality & Health Magazine (Jan./Feb. 2014)
• The Hidden Costs of Cashless Cruising, Fox Business News
• Feature on Grand Rapids in Wild Blue Yonder, the in-flight magazine of Frontier Airlines
• Feature about cruise souvenirs in the 15th anniversary issue of Porthole
• Digital feature for AAA Living on Michigan’s Upper Peninsula Great Waters Trails
Wine and food articles
• Taste for Adventure, Great Lakes Bay Regional Magazine (June 2014)
• Rip open a bag and pour yourself a glass, Michigan Wine Country magazine
• A brief article about our international dinner club in Relish
• Wine Enthusiast has my story about wine on tap
• Moving out? Don’t forget about the credit cards, Yahoo! Finance
• No more ‘no receipt, no return’? in Fox Business News
• My article for Creditcards.com on cutting up credit cards has been featured at MSN.
“Cynthia is a solid writer with a strong work ethic. I could always count on her to produce concise, engaging stories in a timely manner. Her writing is an asset to any publication.”
– Jennifer Bringle, travel editor, AAA Living
“It’s been a pleasure to work with Cynthia. Her enthusiasm and creativity shine through in her work. For example, she took a topic that on its surface would be a sleep-inducer – ‘How to cut up a credit card’ – and with nothing more than a bubbly personality and industrial strength kitchen shears, turned it into a surprise hit video that went viral, having been viewed about 120,000 times at last count. She is also a thorough professional, who does what she says she’s going to do, when she says she’s going to do it. I’ll be pleased to use her multifacted talents again.”
– Daniel Ray, editor in chief, Creditcards.com
“It isn’t often that you can recommend someone for just about any writing project, but then again, there aren’t many writers who are as versatile as Cynthia. … Her skillful writing is on par with (if not better than) work produced at some of the nation’s most prestigious universities.”
– Kristi Ries, Communications Manager, School of Music at Carnegie Mellon University
Please contact me by e-mail at cynthia AT cynthiadrake.com.
Like my site? I can help you build your own. Contact me for a quote.